Add ability to share a private space as read only

I wish I could send private space links with Read Only, it looks like when I send links they could sign up and edit my spaces which I’d just like them to be able to see without an account, but not edit.

My summary: I would like the ability to allow others to view (but not edit) a private space. The current options I have are 1) invite others to be a collaborator on a private space. This means they can edit. :-1:t2: 2) Create a Public Read Only space and share the link. This means everyone can see this, not just the people I designate. :-1:t2:

+1 this is how I originally wanted my newsletter that I tried out here to work (which I’ve flamed out on… for now).

1 Like

This is how I intuitively expected Kinopio URLs to work when I first came upon the app. That is, if I shared the URL to a private space, anyone with that URL can view it. When I realized that was not the case, I then figured that if I changed a space to Closed (old name of Public Read Only), then it would have this behavior. But it turned out that those URLs were publicly discoverable.

It was/is a bit surprising that this use case is not supported.

1 Like

I do like the security that there’s not a random url out there that someone could stumble upon and end up in my private space.

I’m assuming in your scenario it’d be generated, so a regular private space without generating the url wouldn’t have to worry about it, but then if the generated url were shared widely I’d want to be able to turn it off. Unlikely to actually happen (at least for me), but something I think should be considered

2 Likes

expanded private space options is something I’d like to do in the future

2 Likes

Bumping this as I think this is a missing key feature. There is duplicate request floating around on this as well

2 Likes

Here’s another use case I just ran into: I’d like to embed Kinopio spaces in my other systems (journal, Notion, task management systems, etc). I use a lot of my spaces as my visual notes and often want them to be included in other notes. So it would be nice to be able to create an iframe link for a Private space.

Yes, I know I can create a collaborator link, but that feels too “dangerous” because if that gets exposed, then that person can make destructive changes.

1 Like

Yes 100% all of this.

1 Like

I think this is interesting because this shows it’s not just about supporting multiplayer/collaboration.

2 Likes

How about an option where collaborators only can comment, but not change anything we have done on a board?

1 Like

Hey Hildegerd,

because comments are just regular cards that may be more work than it sounds like, can you let me know more about your scenario for this?

2 Likes

That they are more like visitors that can write comments (with suggestions), but not collaborators that have access to change things the creator of the board have made. That you get a hierarchy of who have reading and writing rights: Space owner - collaborator - visitor (also visitors are people you invited to a private board).

2 Likes

in a case like this would locking cards that you don’t want collaborators to edit work?

You can even quick lock all cards on the board with ctrl/cmd-a -> styles

2 Likes

Yes, it would work in some cases.

2 Likes

Just wanted to jump back in here as someone who’s asked for both locking cards and for comments :slight_smile:

A case where the current features don’t quite cover is: I’ve created a space that I want to share with the world. I want to give folks the ability to comment, but since comments are just cards, I have to rely on convention. The shortcomings of this are:

1. I can’t force visitors to create comments.
  2. Even if I could, comments still distract from the work.
  3. Locking cards doesn’t prevent #2.

Here’s a recent example of mine: https://kinopio.club/iii-seminar-series-DECfJmIQTgIdAsLl7R4uZ

I used Kinopio for a presentation. I made the space Open to All so that people could comment on it, ask questions. However, the comments get in the way of the actual content. I would like a way to hide comments so visitors can see the original “work” and not be confused by what others have commented.

I feel like this is a pretty common use case. I’d argue that the majority of spaces in Explore would be more fun and have more activity around them if visitors could comment somewhere and have a conversation with the creator. I know I’ve made this argument before, but thought it was worthwhile to rehash it now that we have the ability to lock cards.

That features is great, but doesn’t enable this use case :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I now hurried to delete my comment, so I did not interfere with your work. :wink:

2 Likes

If You could use filters to only highlight cards created by you , would that work in this case?

1 Like

No, not all the way :slight_smile: I’m looking for a greater semantic difference between the core content and metadata (comments (but not necessarily the current implementation), annotations). It’s not a matter of ownership (cards created by me vs others), but of intent and purpose.

In this use case, I see the Kinopio space as a work. It could be a presentation, a mind map, a visual essay, poetry, a moodboard, etc. This could have been created solo or collaboratively, but regardless, we have this core content.

I’d like to publish/share that work with the world and invite comments, discussion, feedback. It should be unambiguous what the core content is versus what are the metadata. Maybe that means the ability to hide comments. In some cases, I want them completely invisible so it doesn’t distract from the original form (for example, my presentation space. I might want to use that space again to present, but now there are comments on it that I can’t hide, I can only delete them, or make a copy of the space etc).

I hesitate to make analogies with other apps because I’m not saying to solve it that way, but it’s a similar idea as comments on a Google doc. They’re on the side and I can hide them. Also, same with Figma. A designer might create some designs in Figma and invite others to add comments and feedback. But that metadata is clearly not part of the work they have done.

(I realize this topic has diverged from the original, but it is all kinda related)

1 Like

i agree but might be better split into a seperate topic, there may be easier/more-short-term solutions to this

1 Like

Adding more to this list… after sharing a space, I want to lock it so it’s only readonly, but I don’t want to remove my collaborators.

1 Like