Bugs on Android

The Android experience is frankly terrible. The scaling and positioning of the controls are way off, there is crazy lag, it’s basically unusable. I think you’d be much better off implementing panning and zoom yourself and not using the browser’s. I’d look at how leaflet (the map library) does it and maybe even use it. (It should be possible to put the kinopio canvas in leaflet’s DOM with an SVGOverlay, which actually works on any element not just SVGs) An example of how it would look and feel is at https://kinopio-but-leaflet.glitch.me/ (Sorry the SVG of the space is a bit weird, it’s a converted PDF lol) (I’m sure there’s a way to make the scroll behavior match the way kinopio currently works).

2 Likes

yup you’re right android support isn’t great, partly that’s because I don’t have an android device to test on. Unlike with Safari, Chrome is seems like it renders and scrolls entirely differently than it’s mobile version.

• What android/browser are you using?
  • if you open kinopio on chrome on your computer, open the web inspector and click the mobile view button: does this match what you see on android?
    Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 8.23.56 AM
  • in either case, it’ll be a while before I can go in and do what needs to be done for android. I wonder if in the meantime, I should show a message to android visitors that android isn’t currently supported? (setting expectations)

Bromite (An chromium fork with adblocking and other privacy features) on Android 8.1 but I can repro with Chrome and Firefox too.

Yep.

1 Like

you mean with chrome and firefox on android?

Yes, that’s what I meant.

1 Like