Cards display odd snapback behavior when moved

My wife has encountered a number of bugs using Kinopio using Edge on Windows. Filing first bug on her behalf here. I have created a space demonstrating occasional behavior where boxes will snapback when being moved.

2 Likes

I’ve been encountering some odd behaviour on Edge too. Sometimes when I try to move a card that’s connected to another card, it returns to it’s original place and the connection line would break. I believe it’s been more frequent for the last couple of days. Could it be related to the last update?

2 Likes

@kordumb and I were chatting about seeing this behavior recently as well. I think I was seeing this with cards as well as boxes. We were both using Arc browser on Mac.

@kordumb said Safari did not exhibit this behavior.

1 Like

Will look into that right now , thanks for letting me know

1 Like

looking at the vid in the space (thx for a clear space btw):

by ‘boxes’ in this case, it seems like you mean what we’d call ‘cards’

so the video from your space shows:

1. select some cards
  2. drag them
  3. then drag them again, and then they show snapping back

I’m trying to repro this w mac chrome rn

1 Like

This seems similar (or perhaps the same) to what I reported a few months ago: Occasionally cards jump when moving them - #8 by bentsai

It also seems like it got better for a while and has recently resurfaced.

This is what I’ve been encountering. I believe my description was not accurate, so I recorded it.

🐞

UPDATE: Until now, I’ve been using Edge. I just installed the Kinopio app and the behavior is the same as in the uploaded gif, so it seems like it’s not exclusive to Edge.

1 Like

I’m seeing this in Arc browser on mac too.

I reproduced in Firefox Developer Edition.

I could not reproduce on Safari TP.

1 Like

this seems like a different bug/behaviour than the OP described. I’ll fix it here too though

2 Likes

I have a potential fix for the OP issue , that I’m not fully confident of yet, can you check https://deploy-preview-349--kinopio-client.netlify.app/ and let me know if you still see the issue?

1 Like

What difference do you see? The common bug appears to be that sometimes, cards’ position get set by the system while dragging. So what is observed is that cards snap/jump unexpectedly.

Connections don’t do this, so when they are part of the selection, it looks like they get pulled away from cards.

I still see the issue in Arc and Firefox Developer Edition. The symptoms are exacerbated when you drag around really fast.

1 Like

I have a new fix released on the branch , can you check https://deploy-preview-349--kinopio-client.netlify.app/ again and let me know how it looks for you?

2 Likes

The problem seems to be fixed for me. I haven’t been able to reproduce.

I did notice that moving around boxes is a bit choppy. Much more so than on prod (where it is smooth).

1 Like

huh that’s weird , i didn’t touch any boxes code. but i did remove a possibly related performance optimization.

i’ll investigate after lunch

2 Likes

i could not repro choppy box moving, do you think one of your js extensions could be causing the issue on your end?

2 Likes

No, the extension wasn’t running on the site. But I can’t reproduce that anymore (sorry). So the fix seems good to go…

1 Like

just shipped out another update to the branch, can you check it again and let me know if you see any regressions from the last fix?

1 Like

nm , it was a regression, shipping the good fix now

1 Like

Yeah, it got much worse :slight_smile:

1 Like

@worldofgeese the issue should now be fixed. I can’t edit that space to address the other issues in it – can you create new forum threads for each of those? thx

1 Like