You might have heard about the idea of open startups, whereby a startup posts their subscriber numbers and MRR.
I fully realise this can be a very vulnerable/scary thing and it’s not for everyone. (And you might already have feelings about Pieter Levels and his entourage, I dunno)
But, from the POV of we fans and supporters, it would be interesting to know what the uptake is of new users, to understand how the business is growing/shrinking/neither. It can even be motivating I think!
So I’m throwing the idea out as something I’d enjoy seeing. E.g. what if the bulletin said “There are 523 Kinopians”… could be that simple
For your consideration
In case you haven’t seen it, Pirijan has shared stats in the past: https://communityweekly.co/kinopio/ Although this was awhile ago now.
Funnily enough I was on a podcast where this came up right before you started this thread, so it’s been on my mind. Here’s my current thinking:
- if the numbers are too low, maybe people think it’s not popular, stable enough, or good enough yet to recommend.
- The smaller you seem, perhaps the more ignore-able you are
- people tend to like underdog stories only After they’ve ‘made it’, maybe it’s too depressing when the happy ending is ‘pending?’
- if the number is too high, then it’s like why should I support you, you’re not ‘indie’ software. Maybe people would think I’m a douchebag at some point.
- I’m not really a member of the namad list lifestyle, I think most of that world is douchebaggery
That being said, I don’t feel strongly enough about the worries above to not try it out in the next bulletin. I’ll probably include things like
- number of paid customers
- number of signed up users (which isn’t a great metric actually because you can use kinopio without signing up)
- unique/total page counts
anything else you’d want to see? (keep in mind that I don’t track a lot, and only look at/update my biz stats only once a month)
Agree with basically everything you’ve said and wholly appreciate the rest.
What you propose for the bulletin would satisfy my curiosity completely!
Hope you can make it happen, I look forward to reading