Convert card to a box

What if we could simply convert cards into boxes with a click? Cards and boxes already share some properties, like h1 / h2, and it would be convenient if I could simply convert a H1 card into a box. :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1

This was how I originally planned to build cards (would’ve been way easier) but bc of how conceptually different because boxes and cards are (eg parent/container vs child/content), no one I asked expected that to create a box you would first have to make a card

1 Like

That’s not quite how I think about it. I am not expecting that creating a box would flow through first creating a card.

@kordumb made a salient point. Often when you’re in “capture mode” you are simply trying to get ideas down as quickly as possible. You are not thinking nor forced into hierarchies like typical outliners. But once you go back, you may realize that some concepts belong inside others (container).

And if you think about many of the use cases where boxes are relevant (groups, lists, categories, diagrams), you can usually represent things with a card or a box. So to me it seems like this would be a pretty common operation. Especially from card to box, when you want to promote an idea to a higher order thing.

2 Likes

Was just working on a space where I started writing a bunch of cards, then turned some of those cards into Headings, and then realized those Headings would make great boxes… not hard to delete the Headings and add a box, but just another data point in practice.

3 Likes

would it be okay if this was a one way thing (which could be undo-ed). so a card can become a box, but no reason to want the other way around right?>

1 Like

shipped: if one card clicked or selected, allow user to replace it with a box

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 3.06.13 PM

3 Likes

Agreed - don’t see having to go from box to card.

3 Likes

Thank you very much :). And sorry that I always like these things so many days after you made them :).

2 Likes