Copy as png + Export as png

A little feature that I love in apps like Excalidraw: “copy as png”. It would allow for quick transfer of data from Kinopio to elsewhere.

Similarly, it would be great if one could export the whole space as png.

3 Likes

This is a cool idea for a feature. I just want to let you know a way you can do this in Chrome/Edge already:

• Open DevTools with F12
  • Press Ctrl+Shift+P
  • Start typing “Capture” or “Screenshot”
  • Choose “Capture full size screenshot”

This will export the whole page as a PNG into your Downloads folder.

Hope it helps!

4 Likes

You can also use an online service for this too, used https://screenshot.guru/ to make this

Can you elaborate on your use case? I’m kinopio’s case the data wouldn’t really be transferred just an image of it. This makes more sense for a drawing, maybe less useful for something that’s mostly text like a space

2 Likes

iOS (in safari, not installed app) also allows taking a screenshot and switching to full screen — although this saves it as a PDF.

2 Likes

True. Still I might want to put it into PowerPoint when doing a presentation, or elsewhere - even if it is just an image.

2 Likes

you can also look into browser extensions that’ll do this too, that’ll be the easiest way in the meantime.

If/as more people request this and with more use-cases, then it’ll be easier to justify the time to build it in-house

3 Likes

Bumping this , considering doing this, but as an upgraded user only feature (because id be using a paid third party service to do this with limited screenshots/mo)

2 Likes

this is now live, it’s pdf export instead of images so links work and text can still be highlighted (I believe you can also drop pdfs into powerpoint)

marketing tweet

3 Likes

Couple thoughts:

1. Curious how you are determining bottom and right margins - I feel like they could be reduced (if possible)
  2. Possible to kill the zoom bar in the bottom left?
  3. I’m so used to the title of the space being in the top left that the exports feel bare without it. Would love to see that added in some form or fashion (if possible)

None of these are huge priorities, just small details I noticed.

2 Likes

i’m using urlbox.io to generate these pdfs so I can’t do much about the page size margins

i’ll look into the other parts though

1 Like

I figured some of those would be dependent on the service. All good :blush:

1 Like

updates shipped, spaces should render like this now:

p.s. background sizing is off, that’s an existing known issue on the urlbox end

2 Likes

:kissing_heart: chefs kiss amazing - tested on my end and it works. Read Only is a little bit of a bummer, but worth it to get the space title, imo.

When in the PWA, and doing the PDF, when I hit Done to leave the PDF I ended up in a different space, which was weird. Not a really big bug, but I’d expect to end up back in the same space.

2 Likes

I have a special arrangement w urlbox where this first month is free so I can assess demand , so go nuts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Future feature idea: mass export PDFs
I’m thinking:
A) future proofing - a way to get the visual out (and not just the txt / json) of Kinopio if you ever change directions in the future (god help us)
B) I’d love to be able to export all my journals on a monthly basis as a backup.

Other thoughts - features like this feel like they’d lend themselves to a Pro tier, spitballing 75/yr vs the current 50, I’d easily be down for, especially if you can do things like export all journals from March or export non-journal spaces created in the last month, etc.

1 Like

When you highlight and copy text in the PDF, the text is captured backwards…?
Not sure if this is an iPad thing…? (Tested in browser and from Files app)

“boj eht teg t’ndiD” → Didn’t get the job

2 Likes

whoa ya i see the same on mac as well, that’s def something at the pdf level … :frowning: I’ll ask urlbox about this

1 Like

copy protection via obfuscation, but done really poorly

1 Like

oh really? that’s like a deliberate pdf feature?

No, sorry, also poorly implemented joke

2 Likes