Create a new card between two connected ones

What if we could put a new card between two connected ones? :slight_smile: This option could, e.g., appear by clicking on the connecting line.

1 Like

In this scenario you could create a label, but also clicking the space to create a new card at the point between the two cards would be a similar or less amount of clicks. Can you elaborate on the use cases of this?

1 Like

Very often happens that in the process of brainstorming, I reconsider the original structure and want to change hierarchies and connections. E.g., in this case, I might decide that it would make more sense to create “a parent card” city. So I would click on the line between Litoměřice / Praha and I might want either to add a label, or create a card that would be between Litoměřice and Praha.

1 Like

I think the desire here is to not have to delete connections and then reconnect things:

Current behavior:

Click connection → Delete current connection → click space to add card → highlight three cards → connect

Vs

Desired behavior:

Click connection → click a new New Card button in the connection dialog (which would do the unconnecting and reconnecting for you)

Basically, what’s the easiest way to get from Start to End in the below:

3 Likes

oic, that diagram really adds clarity for me, thx!

3 Likes

assuming you clicked a connection and then clicked a button to add the intermediate ‘Card 3’. What would you expect the label text for that button to be?

1 Like
  • Add Piggy

… as in… piggy in the middle…

But seriously, how about:

• Split
  • Add Card
2 Likes

What would be the difference between split and add card?

2 Likes

i think he’s proposing both options as possible labels for this action. I lean to ‘+ card’ or ‘+ card between’ because that pattern is already used elsewhere in the app.

2 Likes

Ahh makes sense whoosh over my head :crazy_face:

I’d vote simply “+ card” then.

The act of simply making a card is so intuitive in itself that having a specific button on the connection dialog inherently must have meaning.

So I think people would catch on pretty quickly (and it helps keep it simple + minimal)

2 Likes

Just curious what’s the use case here? I’ve never had the need to do this.

1 Like

+1 would love more info on use cases as a prereq. Is this something that’ll be commonly be used or a more theoretical nice-to-have? I should’ve asked this earlier as well

1 Like

I don’t have a direct need for it, but I can definitely picture it in my head.

For me at least, it would be one of those things that when available, I feel like it would be used, but only occasionally for me, based on how I use it today.

2 Likes

What about “insert card”?

1 Like

I know it’s not obvious from the UI, but connections are directional. Connections from parent to children should all be the same direction (either parent → child or child → parent.)

In the case here, you have Litoměřice → Praha (the two cities, I presume). Inserting a card would result in Litoměřice → Parent Card → Praha, but that doesn’t make sense if you agree that the direction of parent and child connections should be consistent.

Are there other use cases for inserting a card?

1 Like

Yeah, I have noticed that in API. I am really curious how it will be used, since I assume that sometimes we want just a connection without any directionality and sometimes bi-directional connections.

1 Like