Disconnect and reconnect connections

I am thinking about this @pirijan’s image:

One of the key features there is that it is possible not only to connect two points but also disconnect and reconnect, i.e. to put into a different place. This is actually something that I have to do quite often in Kinopio, e.g. when I change order of items. Current approach requires me to delete existing connections and then create new ones. But maybe there could be a way for disconnecting?

E.g. I could click on existing connection and then drag it from [o] to another point.

What do you think?

1 Like

That’s definitely a useful function. How would you distinguish between

1. Dragging the endpoint of the connection and
  2. Creating a new connection beginning at this card?
1 Like

That is a good point. Nerdy solution:

• press CTRL to activate disconnecting

However, I am looking at the highlight around [o]…
Maybe one could use that to differentiate. E.g., drag from the center to disconnect, drag from broader circle to attach new line. But that is just brainstorming.

1 Like

Also something to consider, if you have multiple connections into a card already, how do you determine which gets disconnected?

1 Like

The solution needs to work on mobile, so we can’t rely on any hover styling :slight_smile:

1 Like

By selecting the connection first, as I described. You select the cable and then drag it out.

That is also my concern. I want this feature and I am using Kinopio with mouse but I realize that it may be difficult to implement.

1 Like

It could be also at the beginning just and advanced feature for keyboard with CTRL pressed to activate it.

1 Like

I believe Pirijan is working on being able to bend / adjust connections. I think that behavior would run into issues.

1 Like

Maybe? I think that bending will work by dragging the connection somewhere outside [o].
Disconnect would work by dragging connection from [o] elsewhere. I think both things could be very compatible.

If you start the drag from [o] you don’t have a way to discern which connection though. There could be limitless so you can’t rely on being able to anchor on the color within [o].

I mean:

1. click on connection
  2. drag active connection from [o] like a cable

Ah gotchya, at that point it seems a little superfluous, imo… a simple delete key in between those two steps and everything you want to happen can happen today. Just without the visual of it shifting.

I don’t feel this. :confused: The current way takes more time and is cumbersome, because:

1. I have to select the line (same step)
  2. Delete the line
  3. Locate the original card
  4. Draw the line to the second card

This requires more clicks, time and precision with mouse.

1 Like

Yeah, I acknowledge that’s a lot of steps to accomplish that task. I think most users don’t care about specific connection types. It’s simply a lightweight way to associate two things. Most people don’t realize they are directional.

In my opinion, we should wait until directional connections are more obvious and it’s clearer how people want to use them before optimizing for this task. A lot of things surrounding connections are not super streamlined yet.

1 Like

There is currently no way to detect directionality of connections. Or am I mistaken?

That sounds reasonable.

1 Like

I also think that the default should be probably non-directional link + optional directional. But I am not the designer and I will let myself surprise :).

1 Like

when you want to draw a line on a screen there’s always a ‘start’ point and and ‘end’ point. That being said, once there’s a way to programmatically declare a direction this should be revisited

yup this^

3 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense!

1 Like
3 Likes