Easier Access to Connection/Tag Filters

I don’t know if I’d actually use it actively, but given how hidden they are now, plus the extra steps to get there I don’t use these as often as I feel I would/should.

With the Tags pane pinned, part of me wishes I could filter by tag from there somehow. I’ve even clicked them a few times expecting that behavior.

And for connections, I know you’ve added a few things in the connections dialog and don’t want to crowd it, but I wonder if there couldn’t be an icon/checkbox to turn the filter on for a connection that way too.

1 Like

Maybe you saw this come up in the discord and prompted you to post, but I agree. The filters are pretty well-hidden that I forgot about that functionality. I’m in the same boat feeling like this functionality should be easier to find, even if it is not commonly used. It’s the one way in Kinopio to make particular cards very prominent (by fading out the others), and that seemed to help what @tired was looking for.

1 Like

I like the idea of clicking a tag or connection and having a button to filter by that tag/connection. would that be sufficient for this?

1 Like

For connections, do you mean this dialog?

Would there be another interface to select multiple at a time (like now?)

Exactly what I was thinking.

I don’t really have a strong opinion one way or the other, but I’m curious if I filter to a tag or connection, and then click another, can I add it to the filter that way?

And this isn’t probably going to fit most people’s mental models and probably deserves it’s own topic. But if I filter to a tag, it would be cool if anything directly connected to it, could stay in the filter.

2 Likes

Yes you could

1 Like

working on this now,

2 Likes

just released, try it out, lmk what you think

2 Likes

One thing that is a little weird is that in one context, the filter button opens a dialog:

And in the new one, it is a toggle itself:

I don’t know how big a deal that is yet. Other toggle buttons have a checkbox next to them, maybe that would make more sense.

1 Like

I would’ve preferred to do a checkbox, but there’s no space for it in the connection dialog. So for now, I decided to have connections and tags act/look consistent, which i think is a net win because they share a similar context

2 Likes

the only way I can think of making space for the checkmark in the connection dialog is to remove the ‘remove’ label from the remove button

what’s the issue with making the connection dialog wider?

This could work too. It has the side effect of making the click target of remove smaller, which might be preferred…

is no label preferred because there’s no undo for removed connections currently?

I don’t love how that leads to some remove buttons having labels and some not

1 Like

what i might end up doing is making the connection dialog wider (to the same width as the tag dialog)

Yes, I think the fact that there’s no undo is a big part of it (that came to mind when you first suggested it).

And yes, I also don’t love the inconsistency. I even miss the label in the original dialog, without looking at other dialogs.

shipping checkbox buttons in a bit

update: shipped

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 4.10.10 PM

(full undo is on the roadmap but keeps getting pushed back, it’ll be here eventually)

2 Likes

Love all of this. Wider dialog box does feel a bit heavier (most likely all in my head and sounding like a crazy person), but my guess is that will go away in time as I use it.

1 Like

that’s been my experience with this, I’m only making the connections dialog match the width the tag dialog always had

1 Like