Feature idea: Fixed Background Image, Allow Embedding Youtube?

Hi I’ve had kinopio open in a tab on my phone for like a year and finally have a project I’d like to use it for. As a new kinopio user I of course immediately want to push the limits of the spaces aesthetic options.

For your consideration: Entirely unneccessary yet obviously awesome, I would be overjoyed with being able to embed “lo-fi beats to study to” as my space background on kinopio. Maybe even a little play/pause/prev/next control panel, but that’s just wishes. The full screen aesthetic, a background that stays in one place while I navigate my space. It could even be a youtube playlist playing in the background because having the video in a card just isn’t doing it for me apparently :kissing:

I’m a noob so all I can do to even imagine this happening is a toggle setting for locking the background image, and a bit of url trickery so youtube embeds have autoplay, loop, and playlists: https://stackoverflow.com/a/38649673

What do you think? Lovely app so far, thank YOU!

4 Likes

hi friend! welcome to the forum.

it’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but you can get pretty far by using an animated gif as a background and adding an mp3 card. check out this chilled cow space I just made :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Kurt :wave:

cool idea, I love me some lo-fi anime beats too.

youtube url/playback support for cards is something I do want to add.

RE background video: As ben mentioned ^, using gifs/mp4 for the background might be an better way to go for now because of all the extra UI buttons and code required for a very niche (but cool) use case. I’ll think about that some more :slight_smile:

RE fixed background: It’s an option that I could add but I’ve so far decided against it because when the background doesn’t scroll it’s harder to get a sense of place and movement within a space, easier to feel lost. You can try it yourself by manipulating the page body with the webinspector and tell me if you like it

2 Likes

This is now shipped,

add a youtube url to a card and you’ll get a play/stop button that lets you turn on the youtube embed and play it right there for some embedded lofi beats to study to

2 Likes