Flickering font fuzziness when using a monitor with a scaling factor

I’ve been getting some strange font rendering only on Kinopio and only when using a particular monitor. The scaling factor on mac also has to be set to a non-integer multiple of the default scaling one. (i.e. the default times 2 is crisp but between 1x and 2x is not.)

I’ve been using Firefox. I’ll comment back with how chrome looks when I get back to the monitor.

2 Likes

what monitor and resolution scaling factor are you using (I’m guessing you set up your resolution through the normal macos display preference?)

1 Like

Sorry just now got back to the monitor:

I’m using a Dell U2723QE with resolution set to “Looks like 2560 x 1440”.

It does seem better today, though. I’ll let you know if I see it again!

1 Like

It’s happening again :confused: Here’s the display settings:

1 Like

Thanks for reporting.

I’ve noticed this on my built-in MacBook Pro screen at times, but it was the whole screen—not specific to Kinopio.

I just watched your video again. I agree, weird! It’s very interesting that it shows up in a recording. I don’t know how the rendering stack works, but this tells us something about where the problem is/isn’t :wink:

2 Likes

Sadly this is still causing issues for me when I use a monitor…

1 Like

either in the webconsole or with a userscript, can you try applying any of these css web font overrides font-smooth - CSS: Cascading Style Sheets | MDN to either the * element or to .cards to see whether that changes things?

I tried the firefox version: -moz-osx-font-smoothing with various values, with no luck.

But! I did find out that when the page size is under 2048 pixels wide (with window.innerWidth) then I don’t have any flicking or blurriness. Super weird! But that will be plenty wide for me, so all good for now. Thank you!

2 Likes

Glad you figured it out :slight_smile:

2 Likes