Global search - any news?

I think it has already been discussed somewhere but again, I would like to hear what the situation is: Will there be any global search for cards? :slight_smile:
I am having bigger and bigger issues in finding stuff.

3 Likes

def still something I want to do ā€“ itā€™s on the medium-term roadmap

2 Likes

in the meantime, any details on your search use cases and scenarios would be helpful to have (what kinds of things you would like to be able to search for? What causes/prompts you to want to search for them?)

1 Like

Easiest would be tags, related todos, related person

Another would be, I m doing a 9 month long course , happens every Monday . I do capturing of those in daily notes but would love option to see all related notes in search. We have tonnes of homework to be done, itā€™s a pain to keep going back early notes .

1 Like

Tags can sort of help with that in their current state, right? Even if search were implemented, youā€™d still only get the cards with that phrase in it, not the related notes around it, so if you used a tag, you could click that tag in any space and thatā€™s essentially a saved search for that phrase / person / tag. And then within that Tag dialog, you can further search by any word or other tag across your global instances of that tag.

Somewhat related, Iā€™ve asked for a todo box to essentially be tag so you could see all your open checkboxes across spaces in the same manner as a tag, and then further search by additional words or tags.

2 Likes

what would determine whether a note was ā€˜relatedā€™ in this case?

1 Like

Configurable but by default, only 1st degree of relation only

2 Likes

Tinderbox solves this problem with concept of alias , which are closely related to Originals but have their own identity . Makes sense ?

2 Likes

Tags can help, but it assumes that you know what you will be searching for in the future. So while it helps for things you know you are tracking now, it wonā€™t help if you are trying to find something else that you never thought of tagging previously.

I just can never assume that the current ā€œmeā€ is smart enough to know what my future ā€œmeā€ will want to do

2 Likes

+1 to global search. I came here to see if this was a feature.

2 Likes

itā€™s still in the pipeline as the next major feature after dark theme (which is days away from shipping), but the overall new feature timeline has been moved back a bit bc:

• The Growth/sustainability numbers arenā€™t looking good and my current priority is bringing in new users and increasing stickiness.
  • So the priority for things like referrals systems and improved onboarding has been moved up,
  • Iā€™ve just started working with a marketer, and once sheā€™s fully onboarded/working I should hopefully have more time for power features like search
2 Likes

This might be a lot faster for me to build with the constraint of itā€™ll only search cards/spaces that youā€™ve created. So if you have a space with collaborators, it wonā€™t search the collaborators content. I suspect this would cover 99% of search scenarios but wanted to double check with you

2 Likes

started planning an MVP in Kinopio ā€“ Spatial Thinking and Moodboarding

1 Like

thinking something like this, where you choose to search globally (ā€˜all spacesā€™) because those results arenā€™t instant like current space (ā€˜hereā€™) searches are

1 Like

Oh the other caveat , is that the search is gonna be super dumb:

given a card with the name joe ate bread:

• ate or oe ate will match
  • but slight mispellings: breads, or eat wonā€™t match (thereā€™s no ā€˜did you meanā€™ action giong on here)
2 Likes

As step one thereā€™s now an api route to perform a card search

Method Path Description Auth
POST /card/search Get all cards that match a query. Body object must contain query. Only matches cards created by the user. Searches are not case-insensitive apiKey

2 Likes

updated the layout of search dialog/filters , added the ability to pin the dialog open to help comb through results

3 Likes

:ship: Kinopio: "Search All Spaces [New] šŸ” Forgot which space youā€¦" - PKM.social

3 Likes