Initial space load sometimes takes seconds

I’ve seen this slowness sometimes in the past few months. When I load a space, it can take many seconds to load. While I’m waiting, I see the main header chrome and an empty space. I started this thread in Discord:

It doesn’t seem to be correlated to space size or number of cards. I’ve seen it happen for recent spaces as well as spaces I haven’t loaded in a while.

2 Likes

I can’t repro this easily,

but it looks like the common thread might be spaces that haven’t been opened in a long time? Discord . but if that was the case then you’d expect to see the long load once, and then not again next time. Is that the case here?

let me know if you notice any more similarities/patterns that’ll help me diagnose/repro this issue

1 Like

https://us-east-1.linodeobjects.com/kinopio-uploads/FIy-8UJB398m2nzulyxPr/Screen-Recording-2022-11-16-at-3.19.33-PM.mov I made a video. First load takes ~5 seconds. Second is faster. The third again takes 5 seconds.

but it looks like the common thread might be spaces that haven’t been opened in a long time?

No, I can load spaces I haven’t loaded in a long time, and they are not this slow.

I continue to see this behavior. I saw it again now, where I loaded this space I saw in Explore:

What I observed was, after clicking on it, the space gets cleared, so I see the chrome and the background. Then 15-20 seconds later, the cards appear.

I reproed this once. I saw in devtools that the tags call took 7 seconds. That seems suspect.

1 Like

sounds like a server issue, which explains why it’s hard to repro. I’ll look into optimizing the tag calls to see if that helps

1 Like

after recent changes to not regularly autoupdate the live count and your favs count the server is a little less stressed. How have things seemed for you lately?

I haven’t seen it lately. Let me do a little more targeted testing but I think this might be resolved.