Link button sometimes appears on the wrong card

posted originally https://discord.com/channels/857305113936134204/857724063903252530/864217254887555072

I’ve been seeing this issue sporadically where cards will show a link arrow button. The link goes to a link that belongs to another card in the space. This gets cleared up on a reload. In these screenshots, you can see the link button, but the card name doesn’t have a link.

I also saw this on a separate day and different browser. I will try to get some reproduction steps.

1 Like

I see this too. After switching to a second space, some plain text cards will have a link arrow that points to an upload from the first space. Caching issue?

1 Like

I don’t know if this is relevant, but in my case as well, the erroneous link also pointed to an attached PDF (vs a website, per se).

do you both only see this issue in cards after changing spaces?

1 Like

it’s hard to say, but while I was trying to qualify this bug more, I did observe:

• I switched to my Inbox space (private) which contains a card with a link to a PDF that has been the erroneous link appearing on other cards.
  • I switched to my team space (also private) where I know I had seen an erroneous link. I didn’t observe any bad links.
  • Incidentally, at this point I took a screenshot of part of my space and pasted in Discord.

• I paint selected the stickers and some connections and removed them.
  • At this point, I noticed that the bad link appeared on one of the left-side remaining cards. So to the best I could see, the bad link appeared after I removed those cards and connections. It’s also possible it appeared before that (when bringing focus back to mac app, or when I started to select). Here is an after screnshot.

lol, and just as I post this, I noticed in the first screenshot that there was an errant link on the Nick card! So maybe when I switched to this space, it did appear and I didn’t notice. And then the link moved to a different card.

1 Like

Okay, more information. More clues that, do your original question, yes it appears this happens when I switch to a space (but as noted, the bad link can move while interacting with a space).

• I went to Inbox (with the card with the link that ends up being the bad link).
  • Using space dialog, I go to my team space. I see the bad link on Brian card.
  • I reload the mac app. The bad link disappears.
  • I can reproduce by walking through the same steps.
1 Like

I’m still seeing this. I can reproduce with the above steps, and I can broaden the description a little:

• visit space with some card with a link
  • using space browser, navigate to another space that you own.
  • observe a random link on a card.

I think this only happens with spaces that you own. i tried to use a public or open space for the first and second space, but didn’t reproduce it then.

I can repro this on https://deploy-preview-187--kinopio-client.netlify.app/ too

I am seeing this again on the mac app.

1 Like

I am still seeing this.

This is on deploy preview 241, but I was seeing it in production as well. The link is the same URL as a URL in another card in this space.

1 Like

i have not been able to repro with these steps,

do you see this happen on the mac app (and/or chrome/edge?) only?

1 Like

It’s hard to say. I think I’ve seen it in both mac app and edge. It happens sporadically but I do notice it pretty often. I don’t know how to reliably reproduce it.

Next time I do see it, is there anything specific I can investigate?

all i can think of is let me know if there’s any console errors, and verify both the card elements have correct data-id attrs.

if it always/often appears when switching between space X to space Y, lmk what X and Y are.

I think it should be a fixable issue once i’m able to deeply investigate tho

thx!

1 Like

To restate the problem I’m seeing: there are three cards in my space that have link buttons on them. None of them should. When I look at the element inspector, they all have link that a different card in the space properly has.

I did not switch spaces, and that is not relevant because the wrong link buttons are for a link in the same space. I’ve included some screenshots. I don’t see anything noticeably whack about the data-ids.

1 Like

v helpful thx, in this case the wrong links happened were seen on a fresh refresh of the space, or after you had been editing cards for a while?

1 Like

Pretty sure this was on a fresh reload of the page.

Now that I’ve refreshed, I can’t repro it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

just added a potential fix for this , let me know if you see it again

1 Like

I’m seeing this again.

1 Like

Seeing this again: