Live public spaces

peek at all the public spaces currently being worked on. If you’re editing a closed/open space you’ll show up in the ‘live’ section of the app, people can come into your space but can’t edit or distract you unless the space is open.

live-beta

goals

• gives you more things to do on kinopio, makes the app more sticky with reasons to come back
  • positive reinforcement for people who already like building in the open
  • more visibility for open spaces looking for new collaborators
  • doesn’t make the interface noisey. It’s visible, but only really noticeable if you care

assumptions

• if you don’t want people to see your space live, then the space is private already
  • the privacy picker will have slightly cleaner/friendlier/human language to communicate that closed means that everyone can see (‘closed’ is a term I took from are.na, but I don’t think there’s a real convention name for this?)
3 Likes

Simplifying spaceDetails by using the same explore sunglasses icon for everything explore related. Hopefully this makes the connection more intuitive feeling, and less of a thing you have to learn (eg “that checkbox next to space name = in explore”)

before:

after:

2 Likes

adding clarity to privacy states

(from irl feedback and discussion in https://discord.com/channels/857305113936134204/857724442797146173/868910153691451483)

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 3.21.15 PM

2 Likes

blank state, hopefully ppl don’t see this too often :slight_smile:

with space(s)
Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 7.22.06 PM

1 Like

this will show Open and Public Read Only spaces, right?

Yes only open and closed (aka public read only) spaces in here. There’s ‘public’ as in the name of a privacy option and there’s ‘public’ as in the concept of this thing is accessible by the public. The latter is used here.

Irl in the interface, I don’t expect ppl to not realize that open is also public in this case. Otherwise, that’s a case for going back to using a unique word like ‘closed’

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 9.54.15 PM

I’ve always wanted this for software tools
what better way to find your people

2 Likes

Nice! I like how this creates a feeling of hustle and bustle.

Two Qs:

1. I made some spaces Public-Read-Only and added them to explore. Then I made some modifications. I opened a private window to Kinopio (not logged in) and couldn’t see my spaces in Live. How come?
  2. Forest Heron has appeared in Live spaces for like 48 hrs for me, but when I go in there, there is no activity. So what qualifies a space as “live”? Could the author be viewing it but idle?

Cheers!

2 Likes

The criteria are here:

Using Live (kinopio.club)

I wonder if there may be bugs or the algorithm should be tweaked. More often than not, I don’t see anyone else in a Live space when I visit. I have tried to visit as soon as a space becomes live, too. Maybe need some more mileage on the current implementation to get more anecdata.

2 Likes

My bad, shoulda checked the docs. Thanks Ben.

That all makes sense, not sure it’s always happening 100% but more testing needed on my side :slight_smile:

Edit: I’m now seeing expected behaviour as anon user. I think, before, I was switching spaces, causing the former space to go off-live.

2 Likes

may be bugs or the algorithm should be tweaked

yup that’s my approach rn, to wait and see and tweak

1 Like

maybe i should link to that help doc from the live dialog?

1 Like

maybe, but hopefully this can get tuned so that it’s obvious what Live Public Spaces means and users don’t have to know to precise algorithm :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

ya totally, I’m wondering if certain people will feel extra compelled to know how it works?

1 Like