Markdown-inspired formatting support

updated styling for bold and added support for inline code and codeblocks, hows it look?

it’s shipped so you can try it out irl

1 Like

That looks pretty sweet, thanks!

1 Like

I like the fact that you added a highlighter instead of a proper bold I think it would be nice having both of those i would use both of them.

for some reason the link is not working properly i cant link to a youtube playlist for some reason
have a look https://kinopio.club/topaz-scribe-h54aeAA9X3MrHD1g4fCcI

also the underline does not work yet

after everything is in order it would be nice if it was possible to combine these markdowns
for example having undeline italic and bold together
here is whatsapp’s markdown syntax combined for example
Capture

2 Likes

The &hidden=true at the end was throwing things off – if you remove it, the link should work :slight_smile: I added an example on your sample space.

1 Like

thank you! i hope you can look into solutions for this @pirijan like automatically turning it off or alerting at least

1 Like

in markdown _text_ does italics, not underline. (markdown doesn’t support underline I think)

the limitations of the approach I had to use make combining md very difficult - in exchange for higher speed and safety. The way md is implemented in a desktop app, or slow webapp, is completely different than what kinopio does under the hood unfortunately

3 Likes

I added a fix to ignore link hiding if the url is inside a markdown link

Untitled

3 Likes

FWIW, inline code provides a nice way to subtly distinguish text in addition to strong and em:

A timestamp, for example.

4 Likes

I thought of maybe one more piece of markdown to support (not that you were looking to be writing more regexes): blockquotes. That is often rendered with a line like so:

1 Like

how would you use blockquotes in the context of kinopio/cards?

It would be another way to visually set apart a block of text. Maybe particularly useful to distinguish text within a single card. Ostensibly for qutoes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

makes sense! i’ll add it to do longer-term

2 Likes

Can we revisit rendering markdown strong as bold if it’s something you can fix with your fontlab trial?:slight_smile: @pirijan

It’s a big task to draw every single character in bold thickness, it’d be nice to have but I think there’s other cool features to build before that

2 Likes

bold styling update w higher contrast: Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 9.18.38 AM

1 Like

Cool!
I see the current plan is only for a subset of markdown syntax, but I wonder if there is a plan for integrating mathjax?

2 Likes

Hey freizhang,
I’d never heard of/used mathjax before but it looks interesting. Could you make a separate new thread for that and I can weigh:

1. ease of implementation and maintainance
  2. performance cost associated with it
  3. number of people that’ll use it

also please do elaborate on how you’d use mathjax (or something similar like latex?) in your spaces?

2 Likes