🐛 [mobile] Auto-generated space name not auto-selected

When I create a new space on my iPhone, the auto-generated space name does not get selected like on desktop.

1 Like

Ya that’s deliberate because if you created a new space and then the big on-screen keyboard pops up and the name focuses and zooms slightly, I thought that it was jarring. Can reconsider though, what do you think?

That’s a very fair point. I can see when on mobile, you might defer naming the space if your priority is quick capture of a thought. In that case, bringing up the keyboard would get in the way.

Counter-point: when you do want to name the space, it is especially tedious on mobile because selecting text takes multiple taps or drags. 90% I personally do want to name the space, so I would prefer the same behavior as in desktop. In my opinion, the value of helping the user avoid the annoyance of text selection on mobile is greater than the downside of popping up the keyboard and forcing them to dismiss in for the former use case. Just my thoughts :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I can release an updated mobile behaiviour as a /beta feature, so we can try it out and see what the net feel is like irl. I’ll update this thread when it’s ready (shouldn’t take too long)

1 Like

Just released this into beta, to try it out:

• on your phone, use https://kinopio.club/beta
  • a notification at the bottom of the screen tells you what’s in beta
  • try adding a space, see how the autofocus feels

let me know how it goes, or if something doesn’t work :slight_smile:

I tried it once on my iPad and it felt great. Will play around a little more and let you know if anything. :safety_pin:

1 Like

Oh I thought it always auto focused on iPad? Ya it makes sense there , I’m more concerned w smaller phones

I’ll seek out some other opinions too next week

Sorry you are probably right. I assumed it was new behavior with no basis.

Anyway I tried it on my iPhone SE and it feels good:)

1 Like

just unbeta-ed this and now it’s the default

1 Like