Number of spaces and cards

Hi,

I love kinopio and have been using it almost daily. As my spaces and cards are growing very fast, I just want to understand if there’s a limit after which the app becomes unstable. I read somewhere that, if the spaces combined have more than 500 cards, it becomes laggy and could pose a problem in smooth functioning.

Thanks,

3 Likes

Hi @myownwhispers, I love kinopio and use it daily too :slight_smile:

I’ve created and used spaces with lots of cards. They may not be snappy (and @pirijan is working on performance improvements), but still fine to use. Here’s an example with 447 cards:

If you have any specific lag problems, don’t hesitate to bring them up though!

2 Likes

Sure, thanks. questions

1. how do i see total number of cards?
  2. I wanted to check all card across all spaces. Do you see any problem there? I have lots of spaces now with lots of cards. My concern was mainly in the total cards across all spaces.

Thanks

2 Likes

If you’re inclined, open your browser’s JavaScript console and paste this code:

document.querySelector("#app").__vue__.$store.state.currentSpace.cards.length

This will print out the total number of cards in the current space.

Total cards across spaces should not have an aggregate effect on performance. When you navigate from space to space, the old one basically gets unloaded, and only the current one is in play.

2 Likes

wow. that was my main concern. more cards in one space is not a concern.
Thank you!!!

2 Likes

The script worked like a charm, thanks. Also, as I understand, no. of spaces should also not matter, am i correct?

2 Likes

Yup that’s correct, make as many spaces as you want :slight_smile:

As mentioned lots of cards doesn’t break it just gets slower, particularly on slower machines. I have plans for improving this tho

2 Likes

Hello,
This script has stopped working now, are there any changes ?

document.querySelector("#app").__vue__.$store.state.currentSpace.cards.length

2 Likes

Yeah, the code was recently upgraded from Vue 2 → 3. I think the new query would be:

document.querySelector("#app").__vue_app__.config.globalProperties.$store.state.currentSpace.cards.length

:slight_smile:

1 Like