Other user's card related to the tags are public šŸ‘€

Other userā€™s card related to the tags are public :eyes:

2 Likes

will fix asap

2 Likes

Those are all from public spaces though, correct? Iā€™d assume this to be the way it should work.

Just wouldnā€™t want tags from private spaces showing there.

2 Likes

Ya I believe itā€™s just public ones. Iā€™ll double-check today, and if so Iā€™ll chock this one up to ā€˜as designedā€™

1 Like

It displays the private one too, when I tried to open the card it is redirecting to one of my space :smiley:

3 Likes

Alrighty will fix today then , thx

2 Likes

the farther i dive into this code, the more i realize that showing matching tags from the tag creator is both really intensive (for the server-side), really complicated from a security perspective, but also maybe not the most predictable from a user perspective.

Iā€™m debating simplifying the tag system where clicking a tag will only show you

1. cards with the tag on the current space (found on the client)
  2. cards of your own that have that tag

thoughts?
would this change break any workflows?

1 Like

connected to this change I would also deprecate the route /card/by-tag-name-and-user/:tagName/:userId, and recommend that people use the existing simpler /card/by-tag-name/:tagName instead

1 Like

Ima let @kordumb chime in, but I think this would break something Iā€™ve seen him use tags for, which I think is pretty cool. That is, it lets you link spaces together and makes it easy to navigate. For example, he has an NBA tag on this one space, and I can click on it, and I can get to the other NBA-related spaces:

This is a pretty powerful concept. It lets you make a pool of related spaces automatically for others to browse.

1 Like

Personally, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve really dug into other peoples tags/spaces in that way.

So as long as it doesnā€™t break my ability to see my tags across all my spaces, it wouldnā€™t break my workflows (<- this has been critical for me as Iā€™ve been moving more and more out of Roam. I have been using it as a sudo-topic journal / tracker like a place to see all the issues of a comic Iā€™ve read or all the episodes of a show Iā€™ve watched).

To Benā€™s point, I think my themed / connected spaces are more useful to visitorā€™s if they can jump around spaces through the tags. Both my NBA and Timeline spaces can be navigated through tags, which I think is cool, but I canā€™t speak to how much use others are really getting out of it.

Edit: I do ultimately think itā€™s a feature Kinopio should have, but I would prioritize removing to prevent visitors from seeing private cards and then figuring out a solution to add back, if it canā€™t be easily solved with the feature in place today.

2 Likes

Ha, yeah, thatā€™s funny. I assumed this would break stuff for you @humdrum because you have everything tagged so neatly. But it would only break for me because thatā€™s the part that @pirijan is talking about removing :slight_smile:

1 Like

This scenario of jumping from user space to space was why I originally (over)built tags this way. I think it sounds better in theory than in practice tho.

irl I havenā€™t seen observed ppl really using it. Of course there are cases as mentioned , but because the usefulness is so rare, I think the net positive perf/maintainability impact of simplifying tagged card access is worth it relatively.

To clarify it wouldnā€™t break stuff for @kordumb but would for the scenario @bentsai describes

2 Likes

Iā€™m cool with the decision. maybe we can find other ways to enable building networks of spaces in the future :yarn:

2 Likes

Even tho itā€™s explicit (so therefore higher friction), /space links may be a way to go for this

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m onboard with removing, especially since Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve tagged cards where I wanted the contents of the cards to be private.

It does break the way Iā€™ve told friends who follow my daily notes to go (through my [[Daily Notes]] space and then click the tag.) There are obviously alternative routes, like my Journals space, and Iā€™ve also started linking ā€œTomorrowā€ now that I know I can create it ā€œtodayā€ so not a big deal.

Part of me still wishes there were a way to make the Links to a space more prevalent. I donā€™t know if itā€™s because the button is on the bottom, but I always forget itā€™s there and if there were a way to surface the spaces that link to ā€œthis spaceā€ a little better it would make me happy. Not something critical, but just food for thought.

1 Like

I agree with this, I feel they should be more prominent. Perhaps once the screenshotting mechanism is in place, cards with space links would show a preview and that would do the trick :slight_smile: Having said that, links to other kinopio spaces maybe should be even more prominent than any old URL because it is staying in the universe and kinda part of a network of concepts (if that makes sense).

So Iā€™m referring to the Backlinks through the Links button on the bottom. I realize now reading back that wasnā€™t clear at all.

But backlinks are a huge part of my workflow in other apps, but havenā€™t clicked with me in Kinopio. I donā€™t know why, but my guess is because they feel hidden away at the bottom in the button.

1 Like

I havenā€™t tried that hard to use them, but similar sentiment. I see that button and I think, that seems like it should be pretty useful, but thereā€™s nothing in the dialog because I donā€™t take the time to link up my spaces.

is there a specific place in mind where youā€™d expect to see your list of current space backlinks?

[edit: letā€™s move discussion on backlinks to another thread]

1 Like

alrighty shipped

• TagDetails shows only currentspace and currentuser tagged cards
  • removed /card/by-tag-name-and-user route

for the discussion on anything backlink related, letā€™s move that to another thread

3 Likes