Paint to select fails with lines

See the image. I guess this is connected to the speed of cursor. When moving slowly, it works much better.

Kinopio-selection-painting

1 Like

ya it’s a current limitation, in the future I plan to overhaul the paint selection system to fix this issue and others

2 Likes

This is one interaction that makes kinopio feel less nimble and direct. It makes the paint select feel unreliable.

2 Likes

In the meantime, I’ve come up with a fix for this w some new math. Can you let me know how it performs for you?

https://deploy-preview-382–kinopio-client.netlify.app/

1 Like

related but completely distinct, can you let me know how this painting feels/performs for you? it draws paint circles bw your real circle points to give the illusion of a smooth line, and sets a max number of circles to manage perf. It’s more a hack tho.

https://deploy-preview-383–kinopio-client.netlify.app/

2 Likes

Just tried 382 real quick on my phone and it seems to crash my browser when I start to paint :slight_smile:

383 feels nice and tight on mobile. Haven’t tried it on desktop yet.

Oh ya 383 also fixes a bug in 382 (which can be ported over) where press and holding will crash the browser. So I guess the most impt observation is perf differences between the two on desktop

1 Like

Cool, i tried 383 on desktop and I like it a lot so far. the current always felt like the paint “puttered” and didn’t have enough paint in the brush, but now it feels like the paint flows. I think the paint trail is shorter, but that is not necessarily worse.

side note: i feel like when connections jiggle too fast—it makes me anxious :slight_smile:

ya the trail is shorter, that’s something i can adjust but the longer the tail the more cpu work required

1 Like

it’s a fine line between looking enthusiastic/ready and anxious i guess, I’ll look into that

1 Like

the short tail is fine to me. the faster refresh makes a huge difference in efficacy and feel, so whatever is necessary to make that performant, i’m for it :slight_smile:

here’s a vid showing connection jiggle (1) current speed, (2) half speed. Let me know if you prefer the 2nd option

1 Like

I prefer to the 2nd option, it feels more oozy and alive :slight_smile:

1 Like

shipped out a new paint select system that fixes this issue , and also feels awesome

3 Likes

That is much, much better than before! :slight_smile: Great fix.

2 Likes

Actually, maybe is there somewhere out here a super simple tool that would do that? I.e. it would create an image that could be repeated in the way I described and then I could upload it to Kinopio?