Remove personal favorites from bottom favorites menu

I concur with this. I don’t think of the bottom favorites menu as somewhere to find my own favorites. I go to the space dialog for that.

I get the logic, but conversely it seems weird that clicking a button to add something to favorites doesn’t add it to the list where favorites are displayed. As an alternative middle ground I think it makes sense to have a filter toggle in the favorites dialog that lets you choose to view just your spaces, not your spaces, or all spaces?

1 Like

I had considered this too. That would work too. I’d argue that you just need to be able to toggle between:

• show all favorites
  • hide your own favorites
1 Like

is it important that your preference in this dialog remain sticky? eg if you refresh the page, is it important that the filter preference stay the same?

For me, I would want it to be sticky. I would set the filter to hide my own favorites and leave it forever since I only use that dialog to reference other favorites. My mental model of other people’s favorites is akin to following in twitter. I use it to track spaces I’m interested in.

In the context of my own favorites, I use that to organize and more easily access certain spaces.

1 Like

makes sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it would also be a big help if it could just not notify and put “New” next to spaces I own in the favorites dialog.

It’s the most minor of things, but I don’t need to be alerted that I added stuff to my own space…

I get that this might be useful in collaborative spaces though…

1 Like

ya the collaborative/open use case is why i do this. Like saying “hey someone else added something to your space”. not sure how to reconcile this

1 Like

Although thinking on it more that’s covered in the top right notification now isn’t it?

I get the dilemma though because the more you bifurcate it the more confusion can be caused for “where do I go for this vs that…?”

2 Likes

My thinking is, never notify me when I made the change. That’s the thing I find objectionable about seeing New badge.

1 Like

that’s a v good point. when i built favs I don’t think I had notifications yet

1 Like

i’ll look into fixing this, maybe instead of doing fav filters?

2 Likes

That’d be better IMO. I only go to the bottom favorites dialog to find other people’s spaces. If I want to find my own favorites, at least for now, I go look in the spaces dialog (which is where all my stuff is).

1 Like

My plan is to make is

• Just shipped: to that your own favorites don’t increment the count or display ‘new’ badges if you were the one who made the last change to that space.
  • Shipping later, adding a favorite spaces filtering option so you can hide your own stuff from the list. because:

it seems weird that clicking a button to add something to favorites doesn’t add it to the list where favorites are displayed

2 Likes

shipped favorites filter

it’s not sticky yet, i’ll do that later. I wanted to ship this early beta version to see what you thought rn

2 Likes

changes to spaces and favorite spaces filters is now sticky, so it’ll persist between sessions

2 Likes