Resize to fit card contents on one line

The request is a way that makes resizing cards to fit contents of a card onto one line. One proposal is to have double-clicking on the lower-right corner of a card do this. Currently, this resizes to the default card size. Perhaps both can be supported via toggle. (Discord)

For more context, I’ve identified different categories of cards I tend to make.

One is the header, often an h1, and I want that to not line break. Hence the request for the ability to resize to fit contents on one line.

Another kind is a shorter phrase or item card. This kind is served well by the current default size. You can see in the above example as well—the items under the “Product Management” heading.

A third kind is a sentence or two. This is when I’m expressing my thoughts in full sentences. Here is where having a larger card size would help a lot because the current size hinders readability.

In my latest use case of a presentation I had all of these. H1s for slide titles, normal cards for bullet points, and then sentence cards for my script/notes.

Having said all of this, another request would be to support a control that toggles between the current default card size (235 px is it?) and something wider. I could create another forum post for that, but wanted to mention it here because it is related.

2 Likes

one interaction i think might make sense is:

• if the card has not been manually resized: double-click makes it try and get the text on one line (up to a maximum)
  • if the card has been resized: double-click resets the width (same as it does now)
3 Likes

Yeah, I think this is in line with what Ben and I were saying in Discord. If you do the action to reset, does it then treat it like a card that has not been resized? So you could double click again to try to fit to one line?

1 Like

Also, to add, I really like the “up to maximum” idea for automatic resizing.

2 Likes

Back when this first got brought up you were looking for examples…

Can’t remember if I mentioned this in Discord, but double clicking on the edge of an excel column expands to fit contents within the column.

It doesn’t go back and fourth like mentioned here, but I still think it’s intuitive enough. If at default: double click → one line (to a max); if not at default: double click → set to default width.

2 Likes

Another example:

macOS → Finder window with lots of files/folder → double click the Header area of the window → widens to fit more folder → double click again → resizes down to default.

This is basically exactly what I was looking for with Kinopio card resizing.

1 Like