[spec] Tag Spaces

Based on a request space from @kordumb https://kinopio.club/-idea---tag-spaces-example--NVNRG0lKbGWz5fqdqZhmq

Overview

• Tags can be used to connect related cards to each other, but sometimes you want a space thats connected to a tag.

In a ‘tag space’:

• you can access all the cards with that tag
  • you can provide contextual/background information about that tag more generally

Assumptions

• This is an advanced power user feature
  • Only one tag space per tag is needed/desired

Goals

• Does not add complexity to Kinopio as a whole, this includes minimizing card or space interfaces that are unique to this feature
  • Is easy to build, by mostly reusing what already exists

Proposed

• When you click on a tag, the tagDetails dialog will have a new button to + Tag Space
    Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 4.55.07 PM
  • when clicked a new space will be created with the name of the tag, along with a card containing the [[tag]].
  • the next time you click the tag, the tagDetails dialog will contain a button to jump to the tag space for that tag
  • in your spaces list, tag spaces will visually stand with the tag color. Tag spaces are identical to normal spaces but have a space.tagColor attribute which is used to apply a tag color to them.
    • When the tag color is updated, the space.tagColor attribute is also updated
4 Likes

You’re going to hate me… but can you peruse the below space a bit.

I love the idea you’ve laid out and I’d use it, 100%. It brings a level of whimsy with the additional color and helps me get my stuff organized.

I think what I’d love is what I’m calling a Persistent Tag Card, which the technical difficulty / how doable it is may be a much higher bar. The persistence probably sounds like a small thing since it’s one click away anyways, but removing that click makes navigating around spaces so much more appealing.

2 Likes

yup I saw the persistent tag card, it’s not impossible but making a whole new kind of card is a lot more work than it may seem. Weighing the required work vs how many people will use that work vs the fact that you can already get to the tags list with one additional click makes it hard to justify right now.

After tag spaces exist irl in a more mvp form, we can see how people are using it, and use that insight then to re-evaluate and iterate :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome, and yeah, I figured it’d be a lot more effort.

2 Likes

How is this going to work?

same way as it does now, it’s just a card w that tag that you can click on

1 Like

eg tag space https://kinopio.club/-daily-note--kwhoH9blGj4idD7ScNB9P

1 Like

Updated with some benefits / use-cases and reasoning for why someone might use Tag Spaces across the bottom.

2 Likes

Another option here could be if Links just acted more like Tags.

Clicking a Link in a space pulls a list of spaces where that link was mentioned, still has the button to follow the link, and can have colors…

I probably wouldn’t use Tags at all if that were the case…

2 Likes

More thoughts on this that I’m sure everyone, especially Pirijan, is tired of…

a) if this ever becomes a thing, I’d love a way to convert a space into a tag space - I’ve prevented myself from really going deep worried some of the work I’d put in making spaces would have to be re-done/copied/etc. but I’ve finally decided to say screw it and just start going to town (hiding spaces helps here since I can organize a little bit better)

b) More importantly, I think I had an idea that is way simpler that might solve this, at least for me… if I could have the option to pin a selection to the top of a tag dialog, I think I’d be pretty happy. Essentially, I’d be able to ensure the top option in the tag dialog was the space I have dedicated to that tag. The obvious tricky part (besides actually doing the work… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) becomes differentiating between pinning the dialog vs pinning a selection and how to make that clear…

b.2 aka “the rambling”) Where I’d still miss out in basically any implementation of Tag Spaces (as of right now) is a way to always have the list of spaces with that designated tag always visible on my screen in some way - i.e. if we take my sidebar idea, not only do I want Links, Tags, and Comments, I’d want a fourth option that is dedicated to that spaces tag so I can always have a list of spaces with that tag visible.

2 Likes

Now that I’ve been using logseq a little more, I found myself gravitating towards wanting tag spaces. The goals in the original post make sense to me. I would want a place I can see everywhere a tag is used and can easily navigate there.

3 Likes

I am wondering if being able to see space references on a card vs space basis would solve some of this.

That would still leave the question of what should be a space vs a tag? Some tags would be concepts that would need more context in a tag space as above. Some spaces are more artificial boundaries for a specific purpose like a project and not truly a tag-worthy concept.

1 Like