Stop rearranging order of spaces automatically

while leaving a space to go to the other, i realised that the order of the spaces changes automatically based on which space we visited the last, but if someone has a lot of spaces, imo, this creates a problem as it is not convenient to find the space you’re looking for in a new order everytime.

for example, if i have a space called home i would always like to see it on the top.

also, ability to manually drag and re-arrange spaces in a particular order would be nice!

4 Likes

Hi, welcome!
+1 for this idea. I would like to change the sort order - maybe there can be options such as sorting by last modified, date created and/or alphabetical. I don’t really find the current “last viewed” that helpful. I was putting together a 2021 retrospective, and it wasn’t a smooth process to navigate my spaces because of the sorting.

@lifeofamol You might find it helpful to add your own space as a favourite by clicking the heart at the bottom left of the screen - that will keep it at the top. I do that with my home space.

4 Likes

adding sort order options makes sense,

@lifeofamol as jordanne mentioned, favoriting your own spaces to pin them to the top of the list might solve your immediate issue

2 Likes

I always assumed sort options would be implemented at some point. I even started prefixing spaces to better organize them. But surprisingly, even with 100s of spaces, I’ve been able to manage without too many problems. I mainly find spaces I was recently in near the top, and if I can’t find it, I search.

One note: I think the current ordering would be improved by changing it from recently visited to recently modified. Sometimes I browse spaces and don’t make changes, but it makes spaces start appearing unexpectedly. I think ordering by just visited is unexpected.

didn’t know about the favourites option, that kind of solves the issue for me as of now. thanks a bunch!

2 Likes

I’ve updated the default sorting of spaces to take into account when a card inside them was last edited. so merely opening a space no longer moves it to the top/most-recent position. This sounds like it addresses the OP’s issue here

2 Likes

I don’t really find the current “last viewed” that helpful. I was putting together a 2021 retrospective, and it wasn’t a smooth process to navigate my spaces because of the sorting.

let me know if the updated sorting (and the new ability to pin the spacedetails dialog open: https://twitter.com/KinopioClub/status/1489629660287844356) addresses this enough for you?

This is interesting.

I kind of enjoyed the old behavior because I’d see old spaces pop up and (I believe) it was a way to see when others were visiting my spaces and provided a bit of serendipity.

I wonder if there is a way to still bring that sort of information forward elsewhere down the line.

2 Likes

i think there’s probably a better/more-focused way to float this information elsewhere (assuming the socialness of it doesn’t feel toxic). Suggestions/thoughts welcome :slight_smile:

2 Likes