Why does "hold and drag require" the mouse click? :)

It is a small thing but why does “hold and drag to pan” require a mouse click? Maybe it is a stupid question but one has to press the spacebar already and there does not seem to be any case where one would like to press the spacebar and not to pan. :slight_smile: Or is there?

1 Like

Why am I asking: Especially with a trackball, it would make the panning experience better :). I think with a mouse the difference is smaller.

1 Like

This interaction is a very common convention (almost universal) among design tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, Figma, Excalidraw).

1 Like

I get it… but why (respectively why in Kinopio)? There is no interaction associated just with holding a spacebar without the mouse clicking. Or am I missing something? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think having mouse movements be active once you hit space bar might be unexpected. If people are used to the convention, it will be undesirable.

The trackball is a different kind of interaction, I concede.

yes this is why. For features like these I think it makes more sense to adhere to convention than try and invent something new (there’s plenty of other new things for a new users to learn in kinopio after all)

3 Likes