WIP: Exploring my Kinopio data in Datasette

I wrote a script that pulls all my Kinopio data via the API and pushes it into a SQLite database. That allows me to explore my data using a tool called Datasette: An open source multi-tool for exploring and publishing data.

Here’s an overview of my data:

Here are unchecked todos in my spaces not created by me:

Some brief thoughts:

• I can do full-text search across all my cards
  • Datasette has an API, so I could build out dashboards, reports on my data
  • I can see all the cards I’ve recently created in a list

I’m not sure what I’ll do with it yet, but it makes me feel good that I can easily get my data from Kinopio and now I can explore that in interesting ways.

– ben

3 Likes

Super cool, keep us updated on what you end up using it for. Also lmk if the datasette search accuracy is good enough if I had similarly simple search logic in kinopio

1 Like

I had a legitimate use for searching across spaces: I was looking for a card I created for a paper I’m writing which I have notes for across various spaces. I did a search for the word, and I was able to local it.

The datasette search is a simple string search and that was useful in this case :slight_smile: Once I found the card, the surrounding cards gave me the context that I was actually looking for (a citation).

1 Like

totally agreed, there are more than a couple use cases for search in kinopio :slight_smile: , it’s def something I want to have built-in eventually

4 Likes

Still using // tinkering with this?

1 Like

I haven’t in a few months. It stopped working then and I haven’t had time to troubleshoot it. I still think it’s pretty useful and want to get it working again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I got this working again. That’s how I pulled some 2021 stats like:

• 111 spaces created
  • 14455 cards created
2 Likes