WIP Links (Backlinks Support)

So I’ve got the core functionality working, and now I’m working on the links dialog that I initially drew above:

But this dialog might have too many functions: it summarizes your outbound links to other spaces and websites, in addition to the links to this space.

I’m wondering whether I should chop this down to just showing you the spaces/cards that link to the space? Basically the same type of information that appears on the bottom of an article on https://notes.andymatuschak.org ?

The rationale for only showing you links from other spaces is because you can already see your links in the current space on your cards (although it might require some scrolling if you have a lot of cards in your current space)

Also, for server performance reasons, I’m thinking of limiting the checking of inbound links to the cards in your own spaces.

As opposed to checking every card made by every kinopio user for a reference to your space.

Do you think this would present an irl problem?

I think what you shared in your last two messages makes sense. To restate to make sure I understand, you’re saying the Links dialog would contain links to space where there are cards that contain a link to the current space. To me, this covers the main use case of using Kinopio to build a personal knowledge graph as they say. That’s pretty powerful.

Two ways I intend to use this are 1) to link a space which is conceptually nested. For example, create a directory of all of my work spaces, let’s say. Then within specific projects, I can easily navigate back to the directory. 2) link sibling spaces. Let’s say I am taking a class and I have lecture notes in one space, and I want to tie those notes to my final paper. This lets me travel back and forth much more easily.

At this point, it doesn’t seem that common to want to link other people’s spaces. But I wouldn’t want to shut the door on this for the future. Maybe when there are more people building related spaces, this would be a neat way to discover other spaces.

Yeah, I’m with you on the rationale too. It would be nice to for limited use cases to see all your links in one place. But there are other ways to accomplish this (another filter for links, a digest view that puts cards into tiles).

you’re saying the Links dialog would contain links to space where there are cards that contain a link to the current space

Yup exactly

I was thinking of also including the specific cards with that link in the space, but it seems like irl presentation-wise seems not that useful cuz most of time the card text would just be ‘https://kinopio-space-url’ ?

Right. Also, it makes this case weirder: when you have two cards in another space both linking to the current one. Would you have two entries then with the different names of the cards? Probably not. I think the main use here is to link spaces rather than specific cards. Anyway, just agreeing with just listing the space link.

sweet, here’s what it’s looking like so far
Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 3.21.01 PM

in this case, the space includes a link to itself (the highlighted active space), and there’s a journal space linking to it (the first one).

Just like in most cases, spaces are ordered by recently updated date

1 Like

The initial release will support viewing other people’s spaces that link to yours, but that might change depending on what kind of db load this creates (although I’m optimistic)

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 11.47.39 AM

Only spaces that you’re able to view will show up here, so if you link to a space from your own private space they won’t see it.

This should allow webring-y scenarios

This does open potential abuse scenarios where someone makes a space with the name of an ad like “buy cool socks at blah.com”, and then links to everyone. But I can make adjustments if that happens irl . Also, the free plan limits help mitigate this

1 Like

what you see if you don’t have any backlinks to your space. Is this clear?

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 12.07.41 PM

That makes sense to me.

I think this is fine, but when I slowed down to read the title of this dialog, I realized it’s not entirely accurate. These are links to spaces with links to this space :smiley:. I don’t think that will confuse anyone, but just pointing it out.

maybe this is clearer? altho a bit more words
Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 12.16.24 PM

I definitely prefer the first. That is, “Spaces with cards that link to this space can be found here.”

My comment was addressed to the title of “Links to This Space”. I think that is also fine. Maybe “Spaces that Link Here” or “What Links Here” would be more accurate (e.g. Wikipedia has [Pages that link to “Kevin Bacon”]( Pages that link to “Kevin Bacon” - Wikipedia), but the original title works given the additional context.

1 Like

That does sound a lot clearer, updated:
Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 12.35.34 PM

2 Likes