Anon users can see a deleted space of mine

When I go in an Incognito window to one of my public spaces, I can open the SteGriff user face, and see a space called ‘Distractions’:

I have deleted this space, and I can’t access it when I’m logged in!

It doesn’t appear in my Spaces search:

Cheers!

1 Like

Update

I logged in, in the Incognito window, and Removed the space manually.

Sorry, I know it would have been a good test bed, but it was a privacy leak for me.

Edit: I found another example, https://kinopio.club/slow-life-eQHgKOQsGzjM_SnIk00tK

I can see this space anonymously but not when logged in - it’s supposed to be deleted.

1 Like

taking a look now

so I can see that space, but that’s kind of the expected behavior:

• if a space is private it can’t be seen by anyone else – whether it’s removed or not. eg here’s a private removed space of mine: https://kinopio.club/sun-serpent-YgreXb1O3mPGD5aSegEVT that should not be accessible still.
  • the opposite is also currently true, public(closed/open) spaces can be seen by anons – whether removed or not.
  • removing a space doesn’t fully remove it, it’s still accessible and restorable from the Remove menu. From there you can permanently delete it. permanent deletion will ensure it can’t be accessed by anyone.
  • the reason the url is still accessible is to not break links,

but maybe removing a public space should make it non-accessible to the public? I can see the case, but I’d love more info:

Questions for the group

• what’s your mindset/expectations when you remove a space?
  • does the current logic/behavior make sense?
  • what’s the convention in other apps for (soft) deleted public content?
  • are there scenarios where you’d want to remove a space but still have the url accessible publically?
1 Like

No.

I’m good with the current behavior around this for the most part. But when you Remove a space, the only place it should then show up is in the “Removed Spaces” – not in my Search and not under my user icon for others to see, and shouldn’t be accessible by others in any form or fashion (their favorites, url, etc.), even if it was a public space.

1 Like

not in my Search and not under my user icon for others to see

the current behaviour does not list a removed space in either of these places

shouldn’t be accessible by others in any form or fashion (their favorites, url, etc.), even if it was a public space

ok gotcha

Ah my bad, I thought that was what the first post mentioned.

I believe it does appear under my user icon for others to browse, which is my main problem here.

My mental journey was this: Oops, I don’t want that space any more (and it probably shouldn’t be public), I’ll just delete it.

I’ve never retrieved a “Removed” space, I didn’t know they live there indefinitely, so I thought of it as a Deleted space.

So I was surprised when it showed up under my face when an anon user browses my profile.

Edit on re-reading, I don’t mean this to sound accusatory at all and I’m not mad. :hugs: Pirijan + Kinopio :blush:

2 Likes

I’ll fix this today , thx for the feedback :slight_smile:

Planned:

• Urls of Removed spaces can only be accessed by the author
  • ensure that removed spaces aren’t listed in your user list
2 Likes

I agree with this. I would expect removing a space to make it inaccessible to other users, even if it is a soft delete.

2 Likes

fix released for these

2 Likes