Change the color of the cell using a keyword

What if this would be possible?

It could save a lot of time when creating cells.

2 Likes

ya i could do that.

Are there any situations where ##red or ##rgba(0,0,0,0)` would be a legitimate input and not something intended to become a hidden color? (cc @bentsai)

2 Likes

No idea. I am very well aware that it could break somethingā€¦

1 Like

Maybe you could make something like ā€œKinopio Labsā€ for experimental features to see what works and what breaks? :slight_smile:

1 Like

This kind of function seems like something that would go well with ā€œslashā€ commands that other apps have. That is, hitting / allows you to type various commands (set card color, insert todayā€™s date, maybe even, connect-to-card). (I know this is already used for linking to a space, but that would be another command and feel like expanding to a whole command palette would be worth it).

In general, for me, the goal is, help the user input their thoughts and style/connect without leaving the keyboard.

3 Likes

Yeah I love this idea - I highly doubt someone would use ## in front of color codes, personally.

The / command is an interesting idea, but using them and requiring a second input might be a bit much for Kinopio. (Example: ā€œ/colorā€ ā†’ ā€œblueā€). If / were ever to be commands instead of space linking, Iā€™d think it should be simple, single commands a la ā€œinsert todays dateā€.

3 Likes

I wish I was a designer, so I have my full confidence to Pirijan in choosing the best solution :slight_smile: (or not choosing any of them).

One more alternative solution would (it is just a brainstorming) to allow the color of tags to affect the color of cells.

2 Likes

Multiple tags in a card might mess that up. I (personally) think the ## is still a good solution.

2 Likes

Kinopio Labs

I think of the staging urls as little labs. Or the #makers-log channel in discord as a kind of non-interactive/live lab for things.

But for most features, you donā€™t fully know till you build it and the more eyes on it the better/quicker results

2 Likes

what are your experiences with / commands in other apps?

When I use notion Iā€™m mostly using the / command because thereā€™s just so many options that itā€™s impossible to find even basic things without autocomplete. Usually with notion, the ā€˜/ā€™ commands I use also donā€™t have a second stage where i have to input a color or something either, but Iā€™m sure thereā€™s plenty of those there.

2 Likes