Indented Outline when pasted to be auto linked

As per discussion done on Discord , any decent outliner program allows copying pasting of Outline with Hierarchy supported. Currently Kinopio allows pasting but hierarchy goes away. request to maintain the same

Describe Miraaya
    Positives Miraaya
         Good at Singing
    Negative Miraaya
    Hobbies
        Baking
        Cycling
2 Likes

How would you expect the hierarchy to be represented in Kinopio? Is it purely by x, y positioning? btw, your post is missing the hierarchy. Does Tinderbox use tabs or spaces for indentation?

Thanks for pointing ! I’ve made changes to post , Purely x,y is enough. Tinderbox by it’s nature is very open and allows for tabs, spaces both.

1 Like

Are the indents always tab characters or do you use (2 or 4) spaces?

1 Like

The Indents are always Tab characters (for consistency purposes) , I tested the same in iThoughts and Mindnode.

2 Likes

I haven’t used the software, but for reference, OmniOutliner appears to use “tab-delimited plain text files” for import, and I assume that’s how it would output it too: Outlining Software For Pros - OmniOutliner Features - The Omni Group

1 Like

sweet, I can do both tabs and two spaces just to be safe

2 Likes

I think it’d be worth considering other “outline” formats too. Tab-delimited seems common in the “outliner” world, but that is quite niche. Much more prevalent in my estimation is copying a Word document or PowerPoint slide with bullets and sub-bullets and also multi-level HTML lists. I know this is probably a bigger scope than you were thinking, but it’s possible that you could implement the code flexibly enough to handle these cases.

From a user’s perspective, if I’m copying some kind of text that has different levels, it’d be nice if pasting that into kinopio would mimic the “shape” of it.

becomes

1 Like

this makes sense but ya I think it’s likely out of scope. I’ll wait to see if/when real people have specific problems with MS Word IRL before tackling it

2 Likes

mvp shipped, cards with tabs or double-spaces indent out when split

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 4.36.28 PM

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 4.36.33 PM

3 Likes

Whoah this looks cool. Going to play around with it.

2 Likes

WORKING !!! Will test this a bit more and report

2 Likes

So far so good on my testing on iPad (unfortunately Logseq’s iPad beta doesn’t seem to know how to copy text… :man_facepalming:)

Sidenote: For the indent behavior, your example image above has some overlap, in terms of where cards end and start on the X-axis, vs no overlap with what I’m currently getting (and also current shift + enter behavior) — all that to say, I’d personally prefer having a bit of overlap. Feels like a cleaner way to step down and allow the eyes to follow along.

2 Likes