On busy space, typing is slow on ios

Unfortunately on robust boards, the iOS app / web interface is unusable.

vid: Discord

(see sean dm on discord for invite link to space in question)

1 Like

investigating… root culprit of perf drains here is the history/undo system

released an update that improves perf but still slow in safari

@lucas I’m wondering if you can help me track down the source of slow perf in v large spaces. Here’s a space you can use to import and repro the issue https://cdn.kinopio.club/Rc-VpnuVowIhCR071WXEJ/Inbox.json.zip

I tried the chrome profiler but couldn’t track down the specific slow methods that I should optimize

other slow interactions in this space are

• clicking to create cards
  • dragging cards
  • paint selecting cards

these prob all have their own culprits, but knowing these ones too would help a lot. Most of the time slow perf is caused by over-eager vuex state updates that cause downstream re-computes/re-renders

1 Like

This is a tough problem.
So far, I have found that ScrollHandler.handleScrollEvents is pretty slow. It seems like the resulting Vuex state updates cause many components to re-render.

For further tests, I uncommented that line and found that dragging one card causes all cards to re-render. I don’t yet know why this happens, but I guess it should not.

Need to spend more time on this to find out more.

2 Likes

thanks for the tip @lucas! I refactored the client to no longer save scroll position using state and just shipped the update (https://github.com/kinopio-club/kinopio-client/commit/f255bc6e64ecfe10d6747e68651147160cd9bd9b). Things feel snappier, but it’s hard to tell. The big space is still slow overall.

Can you do another dive and find me more slow bits to optimize?

2 Likes

yes!

2 Likes

have an update that I need your feedback on to see if you notice a perf difference. Can you sign in through this beta url and try typing inside your busy space and let me know if there’s a performance difference?

1 Like

:articulated_lorry: shipped the performance increase. it didn’t turn out to be as dramatic subjectively as it seemed while I was building it. Let me know how it goes.

1 Like