Smart Typography

Would it be possible to have smart typography like automatic curly quotes and curly apostrophes?

See Straight and curly quotes | Butterick’s Practical Typography
and Apostrophes | Butterick’s Practical Typography

2 Likes

i use something like this GitHub - kellym/smartquotes.js: Smart quotes are smart typography, and now it’s just a ’script away. in my personal blog but that’s just me so wondering if there any reasons Not to do this. the way it works is that the card name doesn’t get edited but quotes etc will be displayed curly on the card

1 Like

I’m all for using typographically correct quotes. The only reason I can think of are cases where you want straight quotes. Maybe for code snippets? Or some other case you need literal symbols?

1 Like

ya in the case of code snippets or blocks between tripple backticks this wouldn’t apply.

Or some other case you need literal symbols?

can you think of any? I couldn’t but I wasn’t sure

1 Like

ok have this ready to go whenever:

2 Likes

beta url you can use to test against your spaces: https://deploy-preview-505--kinopio-client.netlify.app/

1 Like

shipped

1 Like

Ouah! That was fast! Thank you.

It’s an elegant solution. The only issue I can think of with such an algorithm is, if I want to copy-paste some text from a card to, say, iA Writer, the quotes will still be straight. It’s a minor issue though. I can use the BBEdit’s wonderful “Educate quotes” feature to get around it. But it’s just another step in my workflow.

Due to code snipets where straight quotes are needed, a complete solution involving editing card names might be more complicated than the problem deserves. As far as I’m concerned, this solution is good enough. :+1:

2 Likes

here’s a top tip that works in ia writer and most other mac apps to convert quotes to curly

3 Likes