WIP Notifications

I tried a quick test where I created cards with another account I have in a space. When the owner (me) visits the space, the notifications count is 0, even though there have been new cards created since the last time I visited. am I missing something?

ya you should have seen a count in that case. But the count currently only updates on page refreshes, so it won’t like ping you in real time (yet, I’m evaluating the irl need for it)

I might simply make the app poll for notification updates every 10 minutes as well

updated:

• app polls for new notifications every 10 mins
  • opening the notification dialog also checks for new notifications
1 Like

I don’t have many current spaces where collaborators are making changes, so I’ve not seen too many notifications yet, but I’m really excited by the potential now that we are “closing the loop.”

On a side note, when I click the badge on the upper-right, I sorta expected an audit log of activity in the current space (which is a feature I would love, btw). It doesn’t feel like somewhere I would see global information (across space), but maybe that just takes some acclimating.

1 Like

just takes some acclimating

I think it may be this, but also that would be a good place for space history. Is there another place where you would expect notifications?

I think many other apps put a badge on the user’s avatar. That indicates to me that the user has notifications (and thus, not just in this space). Not saying you have to do it that way.

1 Like

I thought about that but it would

• take an additional click to see notifications (user -> notifications), or make the user dialog super cluttered
  • badging the user icon would require a more visually prominent/higher-contrast display of the notification count. I think that may feel higher stress

One day when there is history, maybe you’d click the current notification button and have a way to toggle between notifications/history

Yeah, having them together makes sense. Notifications of changes others have made to your space is a subset of changes to a space.

Yeah, I appreciate the thought around making it low stress. Another idea, what if the notifications button is a bell icon? That might clue the user that it’s notifications rather than an ambiguous number*. Again, might be a non-issue once folks get used to it.

• btw, I also love that it’s just a plain number.
1 Like

something like

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.20.57 PM

My mental model is more like:

• Activity (not sure if global activity would be too noisy, but let’s go with that for now)
    • Current space activity
      • My activity
      • Others’ activity

Then a setting for “Notify me of others’ activity”.

I think seeing all activity gives you context around what collaborators’ actions. Also, if I’m a collaborator coming into a space, it would be nice to see how the space evolved, where the latest changes were, who added what chronologically.

Also, wanted to note a use case where you are a collaborator in a space but not the owner. I would want to be notified of changes in this space from others, even though I don’t own it. This would be common where you are working on something with a team. So maybe this implies some way to “watch” a space.

cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like