Testing new click to pan feature (Windows okay, issues with Mac)

So, on my Windows computer with mouse and on Vivaldi, it works good! :slight_smile:

I tried it now on my older MacBook Pro Early 2015 with touchpad on Safari and there the interval is too short, which means I cannot almost paint and I move almost immedietly.

What are experiences of others?

1 Like

I have tested it now on my Mac with Vivaldi and it works well :).
So this seems to be an issue with Safari?

1 Like

I use it on safari and it seems okay for me, but I’m using a newer Mac so maybe that’s related

2 Likes

If you could send a screen recording of the hold process that’d be helpful

2 Likes

Will try. It may be caused by the fact that the MacBook is older.

1 Like

I’ve accidentally triggered pan on my iPad (in app and safari browser) a couple times already this morning.

I like the functionality of dragging to pan in general, but the jury is still out on whether I like how it is triggered. I realized that I tend to fidget on a space by painting, but now I frequently trigger the panning because I’m holding it down too long before moving… :slight_smile:

Yeah, as an iPad centric user, I wish panning would never trigger for my use-cases… Would right-click or the little scrolly thing some mouses have be enough? Reserve left click for older behaviors…?

I don’t think this was intended to affect iPad. On iPad, I thought dragging should pan and holding down should enter paint-select mode. Is that broken now?

1 Like

Could have sworn I was getting it in both the installed app and iOS safari…

Now I’m only having pan issues with iOS safari (app is working correctly again (or I was delusional)).

Edit: iOS safari working correctly now too… think there might just be occasional glitches…

2 Likes

it’s possible what you were seeing was a caching issue, let’s live with this for a couple days more and see how it seems. i’ll investigate w an ipad later on too

2 Likes

added a label to the little affordance at the bottom of the screen

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 4.04.12 PM

on desktop: hand-icon “Hold and drag to pan”
on touch device: paint-brush-icon “Hold and drag to paint”

2 Likes

The behavior seems counter-intuitive at the edges because it starts edge scrolling in the opposite direction that you were panning.

Let’s say you were dragging from right to left, meaning you would be revealing more content to the east. But once your cursor hits the left side, the edge scrolling starts auto-scrolling west.

The main solution I can think of is to disable edge scrolling when in panning mode. What do you think?

2 Likes

Why not to simply have reversed direction for scrolling on the edge when you are in the pan mode? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i’m on the fence about removing this hold to pan entirely and then replacing it with an opt-in right click to pan … thoughts?

3 Likes

Yeah, it would be possible - if it causes issues, I understand it :).

Brainstorming:
What if it worked like a little joystick? What I mean by that:

• instead of holding and moving canvas like a piece of paper, the speed and direction of moving would be decided by the distance from the center while holding.

Why? This might allow to move quickly over the whole canvas.
I hope I could describe it in an understandable way.

1 Like
  • instead of holding and moving canvas like a piece of paper, the speed and direction of moving would be decided by the distance from the center while holding.

ya i totally understand what you mean and that would be cool, but for now I just want to get a basic mvp out and go from there

1 Like

Of course, that was just brainstorming.

1 Like

right click to pan is now live, this replaces the previous hold to pan behaviour

2 Likes

I am also on the fence. I need to live with it more. But I lean towards an opt-in because holding down a click feels like such a prominent interaction. Is that warranted for this functionality? Again, on the fence :slight_smile:

3 Likes